My Blog List

Thursday, August 24, 2006

King of the Cat Mountain


I have not eaten durian for a long time, because I have not much desire to. I used to like it a lot and would not miss the season to savour them. It came to a point that whether it is D24, D2 or D13, did not make a difference to me any more, they all tasted the same. All these durian do not give you that 'kick' any more.
The other day, a friend told me she bought an apartment in Yio Chu Kang Road. Where in Yio Chu Kang Road? It is a very looong road. "Near the Highland Centre, she told me. "The famous durian place to get THE BEST durian, the Mau Shan Wang or nothing" She went on and on about THE durian.
It got me thinking and thinking, and I was there in no time after dinner. I asked for 'Mau Shan Wang' durian and the guy said 'wise choice!'. It happens to be the most popular at the moment. They will open it for you and show you to a table, give you pure drinking water and a box of tissue. Its flesh was very smooth, dry, bright golden yellow and fibreless, perfect! Here comes the taste. It is sweet when you first bite it but turns bitter sweet in your mouth after. When you reach the seed, what seed? It is absolutely FLAT. Just a few seeds will fill you up. What superb durian! I have not eaten such good durian for years.
It is not cheap however, the one and only durian cost us S$21. But it was worth every cent.
Grab some durian puffs for your friends while you are there too. I will definitely be back there.


717 Trading
22 Yio Chu Kang Road,
#01-01
Highland Centre
2 PM to 1 AM daily

No comments: